Thursday, October 10, 2013

My Beliefs

Disclaimer: I will delete judgmental comments and maybe even judgmental friends so please read and reply with caution if you read it. I don't judge you for how you believe and I not only expect the same from my friends and family, I demand it.

#CaptureYourGrief Day 10 is Beliefs. This is a difficult topic for me to post about because I’m in a complicated place where beliefs are concerned. I almost don’t feel comfortable posting it because I tried once in a “support group” and got ambushed by people who told me how wrong I was but since the rule is no judging in this project I am going to hope the same will apply to those on my friends list and go ahead.

I used to believe whole-heartedly that God was up there and everything happened for a reason. I've always believed that many of the problems God is blamed for are man-made...world hunger for example. We could, as a society stop world hunger. If people were less concerned with lining their pockets and looking out for #1 we could feed the world. Global warming - if people cared more about the consequences of their actions than convenience MANKIND could fix that problem as mankind caused it. But tell me how you can write off the death of my full term son as something "God" planned. The preacher at his service, of course, didn't know what to say but he related a story of a family member who had been through something similar and said that had she not went through what she did then she may have never had her other children and he loved her other children which would be a good point for some but I had planned on having as many children as I could so where does that leave me? Some people say, "Well, maybe God was protecting him from a worse fate later on" THEN WHY EVEN LET ME CONCEIVE HIM? WHY would you let a woman go through all that I did and fall in love with the child growing in her womb just to take him back at the last second?


The only thing that keeps me going is the hope that maybe someday I will be a mother to a living child here on Earth but that hope is not something I believe as a fact in the same way that I don't believe it as fact that God exists. I hope he does. I hope he will help me out of this but I don't -know- that he will. I still pray, I still like to believe there is someone up there but I don’t believe that he has control over everything. I can’t. I can’t believe that there is a God who could have saved my son but didn't  I can’t believe that someone chose for me to carry my little boy for 9 months just to take him away.

The question that I will ask every time I think about it is, if he wasn't meant to live then why did I get pregnant with him? Why let us fall in love with someone who was not going to be with us for very long? The only reason that makes any sense is that there is no reason for a child to be full term and then die before it sees the world so if there is no reason to allow such things then there is no one up there "allowing" things to happen. They just do. Maybe God’s purpose is to comfort us during the inevitable. Maybe I’ll never really know but I’m comfortable with where I am in my beliefs and I’m sorry if they upset anyone, I really am but I could sit at this desk for a year trying to explain how I've gotten to this point and never truly be able to get you to understand. All I can say is that I respect all beliefs and am in no way saying the way I think is "the" way.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to be a part of the Capture Your Grief Project it is not too late, hop on over to the  Facebook event page here.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. you are an amazing person I don't know you personally but what I just read makes so much since to me as I to believe the same thing you are saying. I don't understand we prob never will understand why things happen but remember no matter what you are a mother a mother to a beautiful son who is with you everyday altho u cant touch him he is with you. I know you will be a loving mother, a supportive mother, a mother that has so much love for her child more then a mother could because you know how much the hurt feels like loosing something. I cant wait until that day comes! Love you girl stay strong and keep believing u will be that mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same beliefs as far as God goes. I believe it is a part of grieving. Keep doing what you're doing Sarah. I can't believe how strong you are and if people can't handle the raw feelings you have due to losing such a precious life then they can kick rocks. I honestly believe that you will be a mother AGAIN. And you will be one kickass momma. :) Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. It means a lot to know that there are people who get it.

      Delete
  3. I get it. Right now at work, we don't take patients that are under 21; starting next year, we will be accepting children into our hospice program. Honestly, none of us are thrilled. We're all comfortable helping adult patients and their families, but none of us know if we can handle the emotional toll of helping the parents of a young child.
    The other night at work, a nurse said "I'll never understand why God allows children to get cancer." I thought on it for a bit (because what else is there to do at 3am) and, for me, this was my conclusion; those poor sick kids always have the cheeriest outlook. They learn to appreciate the good days. They always seem so hopeful, despite their grim chance of survival. When they have the energy, they seize life while they can. Maybe we're supposed to be learning something from them? Maybe the purpose of their brief time here is to show us the importance of life. I know my ramblings here don't relate as closely to your situation; those kids get a few years here while Sebastian (I hope I spelled it right, or I'll feel like an ass) had only moments. Like you, I have beliefs that greatly differ from the traditional christian God (especially in an area like where you live)- I don't really believe in the bible version. I don't believe in an angry, vengeful God who sits on a cloud in the sky. I believe in him from a more scientific approach.
    I'm so sorry that you had that experience at your support group- it sounds like a less than supportive support group. This is your journey and there is no right or wrong way to feel.

    We love you.

    ReplyDelete