Monday, March 25, 2013

short and not too sweet


I hate that people pity me.  I really do. I don’t want to be pitied. I don’t want to be a freak that people whisper about. I want to be normal. 

My dream is and has been for a long time to be a simple wife and mother; a wife to a loving man and a mother to a living, healthy baby. I would like to do other things, sure, but only as long as I can have that too. I don’t think that’s too much to ask and I haven’t given up hope but there are times when it seems like it’s never going to happen. I feel bitter and broken and I don’t want to be this way but grief is a powerful thing. It’s made me see things clearer, it’s made me value the little things and cling to what I have but it’s also left a hole in me, it’s made me a little darker. Death has touched me and it left its mark. This darkness makes it hurt to move, to breathe. I'm a part of some online loss groups and I see these women whose loss is newer than mine and I wish I could tell them it will be okay but I can't. I don't know what to say because I don't know what I'm doing. I have no idea how I get up every morning, how I greet people with a smile and make it through the day without falling apart. I feel like a fraud, a clown. I’m smiling but inside I’m dying. I have this need, this aching in my heart for my son and I can't get past it. I know it's only been two months but I feel like I'm making no progress in my healing. I act like I'm okay, I even convince myself sometimes but I'm not. I should be sleeping right now and instead I'm crying on my couch trying to get these feelings out to achieve a little peace-even if it's only for a few hours. What made me think I was ready to go to work? I know the answer to that; I had convinced myself I was doing alright. I had a week or so where I was acting like a regular person again and thought, "It's all downhill from here." What a crock. I fell apart tonight after seeing the child of a woman I hardly know. I see pictures of babies all the time but something about that picture just kicked me in the gut. I feel like I an idiot at work when I do anything wrong…no one’s said anything but I see it in their faces this reaction like, “Really? You forgot that?” or “Are you even here?” I’m not. I don’t know where I am but it’s not in this moment, this day. This shell of a person is just breathing and moving for me, playing the part of the woman I used to be. I'm not sure where I am or if I'll ever be back. I need to toughen up. I need to be strong. I need to figure this out. But for now, all I can do is keep going I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Keeping going on is the best and really only thing you can do. I can only imagine how hard it is but know your angel is watching over you. He is loved and will never be forgotten. That's the best thing to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words of wisdom for you, and for that I am sorry. I do not pity you, you are one of the strongest people I have ever come to 'meet'. Sebastian was too good for earth, God needed an angel and he is there waiting on you. It's ok to feel whatever you are feeling. Thinking of you. Oh and you ARE a mother and will be one again someday. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete